Tuesday, December 26, 2006

HAMMMIEESS

After months of toiling with the choices and grueling over the costs of keeping certain pets, I was at my wits end and was prepared to accept the fact that I cannot afford a meowmeow yet. So I just went back Ipoh the other day with the hubby and I stumbled upon my old Rock n Roll Hamster Ballz!

Memories of my old darling Daisy just came gushing back, and what joyful memories those are! Daisy was my first hamster which died of some sort of tumor on the neck. Before she died, she got painfully thin and a hard growth grew from her throat. I think it is my fault. Either I overfed her with lots of MSG stuff, or I neglected her too often and cleaned the cage too little. But heck she lived almost 3 years I think, and even outlived the dwarf hamsters, Biboo and Bobii.

So, the next day when we're back in KL, KK took me hamster hunting in IKANO. I can't believe the price of cages and hamsters nowadays. Exorbitant! I remember buying Daisy for about RM8 and the cost of simple wire cages with plastic base was just about RM15-25. What the heck now they're selling wire cages for RM40-50! Inflation-nya..

But wanting nothing less than perfect for our first pet, we scouted out the smaller petshops around Damansara and managed to find the cheapest Syrian hamsters for RM15 each. We got two, one black-white and one sandy-white, and both are females. (Later I read females stink more than males when they're on heat =__= ...) For the cage, we found the cheapest Habitrail Safari for RM66. And like they say...the rest is history. :D


Here's how the cage looks like... after much survey we figured this is the most secure and suitable cage. I actually had an old Habitrail Safari cage identical to this one but I threw it away in fits of esctasy when I moved and got Cookie the MinPin. This teaches me that I should not obsessive-compulsively throw things... T_T

Upon reaching home, we brainstormed for names for our new furballs. Like typical Chinese, we want our hamsters to have a good name which will be a blessing upon them. After mulling over hard to decide choices, we settled for Butter and Gravy. May our little Butter and Gravy have long disease-free lives and many happy moments with us. ;__;

By 7.30pm, Butter and Gravy were joyfully frolicking around the hamster cage and stuffing their faces (literally) with a variety of hamster delicacies we did not forget to purchase from the petshop. However, it bears to mention that the water bottle we bought leaked. Therefore, this is a lesson to not buy something which is too cheap. I seem to remember dimly in the past of having the same thing happening to me before. hmmmmm... =__=

Christmas 2006 was joyful and memorable. Photos of furheads later!

No comments: