Friday, March 03, 2006

Greener Grass

There's actually a number of headhunters calling up every few days about job openings in various MNCs. They pipe on and on about superb benefits and mind-boggling increment and bonuses in these prospective companies...and how green and yummy the pasture at the other side's looking. It's so bad that I'm slowly developing a sort dissatisfaction with my current employer. While my defenses are slowly deterioraring, I'm really hoping that by the end of April there'll be favorable news about my pay review. My boss' actually promising a review of my salary up to the market rate, i.e. 20% more of what I'm currently earning.

Ah well.

Just yesterday, my headhunter informed me about opening in Accenture for HR ABAP Consultants and ABAP Team Lead. He's telling me that I can be paid 40% more from what I'm making. Sighhhh.....

Despite the good money I'm missing, I still prefer the pleasant work environment here. There's never a dull moment and I truly enjoy the flexibility of workhours. What's the best, we do not believe in too much overtime. My boss used to say that she finds pride in how her department has no need to put in overtime because work is done efficiently and fast.

Also, there's the benefit of seniority here since I've been in this company for 3 years. There's juniors to order around, people that respect you for what you've already proven, projects to manage, and still tons to learn. :) It's always so great to be able to do a good job and gain the appreciation of your users. I guess that's partly why I'm in the support field. It's going to take more than money to make me go back into the consultancy field hehehe...

I'm very thankful to my heavenly Father who gave me all this so that I will not have to go through the needless pain of changing jobs, ('jumping ships' is how they put it in Chinese) readapting to new people, stressing about my career path, etc. This is truly a great place to work in and my colleague who joined a few months ago just commented that she's really liking it here (besides the too-cold aircon).

I guess sometimes people change jobs because their dissatisfied with the management, or their pay, or the workload. I did go through some of that and I'm glad I did not take the fastest road out by jumping at the next alluring job offer that appears at my doorstep. With the right company, it DOES pay to be faithful. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KY: It takes a lot for me to move to another company too. Yes, loyalty does reward people. However, when opportunities from great firms come around, it is a good move. Firms like Accenture truly give you a very different experience and learning in a very diverse culture. If you stay too long in your comfort zone, you will not grow, and trust me, you have not been through the consulting work. Anyway, it is all up to individual preference and what is the priority in life.