Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lunar New Year

With Mom in the States, Chinese New Year just isn't what it was like in the past. I remembered we often wake up to cooking sounds early in the morning (about 5-6am) and to the wonderful peppery soup aroma. Mom always made pork stomach and pepper soup on Chor Yat (1st day). Then we kids would grudgingly roll off our beds, (still groggy with sleep) to be the first wishing our parents a loud 'Gong Hei Fatt Choy MAMI/BABA!"

Well, not that the first person will get the largest angpau, but it's just an ingrained thing that we grew up with from the past. Not supposed to even brush your teeth before you wish them. It should be the first thing you say when you wake up. It's an unwritten rule that we kids are gonna get it if we don't open our gold mouths to wish our parents that first thing in the morning. Worse is when they have to greet you first, you're so screwed. Nobody wants to be lectured on Chor Yat. Believe me, especially not by my Mom.

Being the second year married, I'm celebrating this year's Lunar New Year in his hometown in Seremban. KK has a huge family over here with all his 6 aunties and cousins and nephews and nieces. Much to my delight, I fit right in with my extended family. To my further relief, I do not have to cook! I always imagine having to cook and having my dishes compared to these veteran Teochew ladies while sitting in the dining table with the huge family looking on. God is good to me....

Anyway, with much of the hullaballoo going on, nobody was much in the mood to cook for reunion dinner. This year the family decided to eat out. We had yeesang at a bustling restaurant with many other 'lazy' families sitting around us. ;P It's liberating in the sense that the women do not have to kill themselves slaving over the stove for this year. Regardless, the food in the restaurant wasn't that great, but nobody's complaining. :-)

Vigorous mixing
Vigorous Mixing

Lou HIGHER!
LOU high high! ...These people are very high...

Sharkfin & Crab Meat
Sharkfin with Crabmeat

4 Seasons Platter
Four-Seasons Platter

Steamed Cod Fish
Steamed Cod Fish

Suckling Piglet
Suckling Pig...wasn't that great...

Mom and Ju
Mom-in-law and me! We're both left-handed =D

Yum Yum Yum
Tess glamour shot

6th Aunt & Zoe
And checkout the newest addition to our family!

No comments: