Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thinking about Family

I'm getting lazier by the day in the US office. Most of our defects are closed out, and the developers are not that busy anymore. Time to unwind and slow down.

Know what's the thing I miss most about Malaysia?

Nothing much. Well, except for Grandma. I'm always worried about her, if she's really happy or if she's just pretending. But I bless the Lord each day that she's still with us after the death of my Grandpa and my eldest Aunt Ping. Those were huge blows to the old woman that put her in a constant state of depression for months. And not to mention the series of sickness that followed. I have to say that Mom did a great job putting up with her, and even recruiting Dad to run errands and chauffeur Grandma for med checks. It was a trying phase where everyone in the immediate family stuck together to support each other. I never knew we had this in us, the loyalty and perseverance. It's an overwhelming realization, since we grew up yelling at each other so much that at one point, I wondered if my parents love me at all.

Don't miss the food much, since we found Indian, Chinese and homecooked food here as well. Maybe it's due to having relatives here to make us feel at home. Or maybe people don't feel homesick until they're 1-2 months into the trip. I see my mom getting homesick in NewYork, and having to hear her ordeals through a scratchy phone conversation is sometimes so painful. Winter's coming and she's worried of her job. Her fingertips are cracking from the cleaning detergents she have to handle. Her back hurts from lugging heavy stuff around during housework. etc, etc.

I really hope it gets better for her.

But at the same time, I'm very happy for her to be able to do this at her age. By being able to muster up enough courage to step out from her (un)comfortable zone in Malaysia and just make it happen. God knows she's been wanting to do this since we were kids. And look how this adventure is changing her! She's more open-minded, patient and independant. I think it did wonders to her faith too. I know lots of people agrees that it's against God's law to do this, but we've done our part in advising and pointing out verses to her. It brews up ultimately to be an issue between her and God. I think we're not in the position to judge and force her hand.

As if I dare to do that :-B

On a lighter note, a picture of Chicago Downtown from the Sears Observatory Deck:


No comments: