Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ahoyyyy!

It is still fun drawing ROMB. But as I reread my archives, I remember how passionate I was about storytelling and 'comic-ing' back then... that all I thought about most of the time were story advancement, character development and fan reactions. Oh wow those were the days. I would long for free periods during work so I can pull out my messy ol' Workpad file and go plotting away, and hours will just fly by when I get into it. Everything was so effortless and I was on fire.

Now, about 1 year later and going on hiatus for more than 6 months, I'm still having some problems jumping back into my old SuperShoujoJu skin. I was reading Stephen King's 'On Writing', and King mentioned that when you have a story in your head... it hounds and hounds you and the characters start talking louder than your own thoughts in your head. And you'll have to seek and stumble for a napkin or a typewriter and just put all they're telling down in words. And you'll have to do all this as soon as possible, before the novelty and ingenuity of the inspiration fades or just drones down to muddy gray mutter in the matter of days. Well, he's right. Every single character in ROMB who were previously all speaking in exclamation..are now barely whispering. Some I can't hear anymore, and when you stop hearing a character, he doesn't tell you his story anymore... or rather, I don't see 'scenes' fleshing out in my head anymore. Gosh, I kinda miss those brain-searing moments.

The current arch ROMB's in did not come out as interesting as it was when it first popped out in my brain. I imagined it as a heavily sensual moment where even the woman-hater surrenders to the wiles of a man-eater. The scenes were also difficult as hell to create and having to improvise from what I left off 6 months ago, it was a nightmare. Many a times I've wanted to scrape off the whole project and maybe start with something simpler and less demanding because of the hardness of it all. But I know myself, if I allow myself to quit, I will quit again and again until I am so disappointed with myself that I will never pick up a pencil ever again to draw. And for the rest of my life, I will be ashamed of the stories that were not completed, rather than feeling happy over the stories I told. You know what I mean?

Maybe I should start writing again... because that's how it all got started... with stories brewing in my brain and nowhere to spill it. Though there's no stories brewing yet but I am confident my old rusty wheels just need some oilin' and preppin' before a huge noisy bonfire roars up in the furnace once again.

And tonight, I'll need to kick myself to complete the draft for the new page. Thursday's working from home day where I can spend long uninterrupted hours working on it. Just a few more pages, I tell myself, to get San out of this gawd-awful mess named Andrea and let the stone roll down the hill once again. All I need is just to pick up momentum.

I tell myself, it's important to establish some sort of significance for this scene, but I don't know what yet. I'm not comfy having this affect San and Az's relationship. It's so cliched, and I hate cliches. ROMB already is swimming in the sea of ugly cliches. >_<

No comments: