Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Our Limited Existence

So many people getting cancer. KK's aunt, my aunt, my grandmother, my uncle... at least one person in every family or sometime in their lives have cancer. I remember how I get when I receive bad news about other people dying who are non-Christian. I initially feel nothing, then the reality seeps in uninvited, and after a while everything I look at resembles cold gray metal. My thoughts slow down into a slumberous crawl and I reserve any excessive emotional expression.

If I know myself, I'm triggering a self defense mechanism to ward of the feeling of grief and loss; of helplessness and inadequacy when faced with a dying person craving spiritual guidance and hope. Perhaps I feel the burden to share Christ with them in their last moments, to brightly testify about the eternal hope in our Savior; but still, the stink of death permeates every pore of her body...and she has surrendered even before setting out to do battle. And there's nothing I can do, but to watch them die before the Gospel can leave my lips.

I know our Spirit is eternal, even after it leaves our mortal bodies. Everything comes from dust returns to dust, and the body surrenders the spirit once it reaches its expiration here on the earth. Everyone suffers death eventually, right. Life is so short, and I don't want to be caught whining about the things I wish I DID when I had the chance but didin't do (due to lack of time, kids, lack of funds, etc..)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rest easy, there's probably a giant orientation tent somewhere around the pearly gates. And even those to whom the idea of God’s love remains as alien and creatures from the planet Blxar probably find a measure of spiritual pleasure in whatever they get when they get there.

Pray for 'em, but don't worry about last minute conversions. At the very least it's probably not too late on the other side.