Friday, July 19, 2013

Aussie Migration - 2 years later...

As you know I have not updated for almost 2 years. You might wonder if I had drowned in the deep treacherous sea of Melbourne migrants. Not to disappoint, but I live to tell the tale.

I was busy making a living, trying to halt the persistent depletion of our bank account, and at the same time perhaps trying to teach my daughter Abbycakes Cantonese before her vocabulary drops to a grand total of zero words.

The flaming questions at the tip of your tongue are probably:
Was it worth it? Is it good as everyone say it is?

My answer, briefly: Yes and Yes&No.

Yes it's worth it. It's great here, but it's hell making a living here. There is zero financial & job security here (at least in my field of IT). Lots of uncertainties with the economy and high dollar, people getting laid off, ridiculous increase of utilities and taxes (mine was $150 per month for just water), etc etc etc. But still, worth it. The worth is in intangible things.

I shall elaborate further in a later post. Have to run out to pick up Abbycakes from Kindergarten. She is very fortunate growing up here, but lacks the academic skills her other Malaysian cousins. But that is also another post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is very inconsiderate of me. But is the comic ( Rules of Make Believe) Never going to happen?

Ju-Lian said...

That's ok. I hate myself for not doing anything about it. At this point, no, nothing's going to happen. I seem to have run out of stories to tell. However, at a later point in my life, I am hoping to get into webcomics again.