Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Shopping is Therapeutic

You think I'm up to my eyeballs with work. Actually, it's not that simple. Yours truly have been occupied with bargain-hunting is various malls, marathon drama serials, reading books and yes, work. I have nothing to post, except blur hurried pics of people stampeding at main shopping complexes in KL/PJ.

The rough crowd in Padini, One Utama. The boyfriend grabbed discount t-shirts and summery cotton shirts. Very good deals.


Then I saw huge clumps of women in Vincci. Elbowed myself in and managed to fish out a nice pair of white futuristic monk sandals. The boyfriend rusticated and daydreamed on a bench with the rest of the disillusioned men/bag-carriers while their better halves duked it out within. Vincci handbags are overpriced, btw. Bad craftmanship with so-so designs. Next time I buy a Vincci handbag please hold my head in the toiletbowl and flush.


Ran out of fuel and energy and decided to recuperate in Starbucks at the ground floor of OneUtama. Notice a number of silent, dazed looking couples sitting in close huddles. They all left looking energised with the caffeine/sugar fix. This is the secret to marathon shopping.


The boyfriend decided to splurge on an grande ice-blended coffee-thingie. It is interesting to note that the coffee costs more than the discount baby tees I yanked from the Applemints bargain box. Nice smiley cashier girl gave us a Starbucks card to collect points. I pocketed it quickly, knowing that we will definitely be needing more fuel in later shopping expeditions.


The next day (or some few days later, can't recall really), went to IKANO. There was a pretty okay sale at the concept store. I got a nice floral blouse. Crowds were disappointingly sparse, probably due to the lack of apparel shoplets there. Decor was pretty half-assed too. Everybody was walking in a relaxed pace and there was no predatory gleams in the eyes of the aunties scanning for huge discount boards. Only nice thing we bought are the aromatherapy burner, essential oils and candles. (realised later that they sell by hundred for RM9.90 at Watson...frickin' hell)


On Sunday, the boyfriend and I, with his family went to the Midvalley. There was a stupid jam in the underground carpark (possibly due to some idiot taking his time to scratch his butt while a huge line of cars wait for him to eject himself from the parking space) After about 30 minutes of cussing and moaning in the car, the incredibly skillful driver of a boyfriend found a spot.

Upon entry, the shopping mood is already in full swing for everybody. Chinese New Year music blared from invisible speakers. Huge sea of human bodies standing in line to get tickets at GSC ticketcounters. Kids in heelies flying everywhere. Overdressed young ladies flocking at corners simpering. Men with gold chains, loud-voiced aunties, crying babies, doe-eyed couples. Very intense. Everyone was pushing into everywhere. I hate shopping at Midvalley.


Then some of my girlfriends and I went to Sungai Wang Plaza yesterday. Got this adorable Abercrombie velvet bag. Best eva shopping trip this year. I was too distracted to take a picture. :D

Happy shopping everyone. May you find that piece of blouse/pant/gstring to match, and may you'll never buy anything more expensive than the next person. Wahaaaaaa!

2 comments:

Ju-Lian said...

I don't know. I don't have to wear branded things, but I need to wear pretty things. What creature under the sun does not strive to make themselve more attractive? I don't mind getting my Chinese New Year apparel at the nightmarket or pasar tani, as long as it's pretty and of good material. Nor would I spend RM99 for a lame tshirt from Esprit, because in the end, it's still a lame plain-colored tshirt.

But there are things you buy because of the brand. For example, I will get a Nokia handphone instead of opting for a ciplak Taiwanese Samsung wannabe, a Nike instead of a Power, a Baskin Robbin over Nelson aiscream potong. The reasons, you can understand.

Also, what's the use of being paid well at work if you don't find pleasure in spending and getting the things you want? I realise I do love eating at roadsides, but sometimes I crave for fancy gourmet coffees too. I say, get the best out of everything, man! Don't be so spoilsport lah.

And I'm a woman lah. If your woman likes grabbing stuff at sales, I think it's waaaaay better than walking straight into Gucci and picking out things without looking at the prices. Wah lau wah lau.

Anonymous said...

How true it is that quite often expensive stuffs do give you better quality and satisfaction.

Just like how I spent one my new Pocket PC!